Sick and tired of the review activities you use with your students? Reviewing before a test can sometimes bore students (and teachers). They might be sick of hearing the same information over and over and over again. I used to do the same exact review with my students until I realized if I was bored with it, they probably were too. I then looked into different ways to switch it up.
#1: Quizlet Live:
I started sharing Quizlet links with my students after introducing a unit. This gives them the ability to practice vocabulary from the unit on their own in a fun way. You can then use this to create a Quizlet Live. I like to use this because it is collaborative. Students must work together to find who has the correct definition. It also makes them communicate because that is the only way they can determine who has the right answer. These are two areas my students need further help with so it’s allowing me to tackle a couple different skills at once. I also like it because it reinforces vocabulary and looks for accuracy over speed. If students are super quick but wrong, well they go back to zero and need to start over again. This is a tough concept for them to grasp at first.
How to Use Quizlet Live:
1. Pick a set to start Quizlet Live
2. Share the “join code” with your class
3. Students are randomly assigned a team
4. Teams sit together so that they can see one another’s computer screens and start playing
5. Teams race one another to win
6. It gives tips how to do better next time
- It forces students to work collaboratively with one another.
- Students need to communicate with each other – one student cannot carry the whole group.
- It reinforces vocabulary concepts and skills over and over again. (If a student gets a wrong answer, the group must start at the beginning of the game which forces them to review the questions again).
- Unlike other games, accuracy over speed is what is most important.
#2: Sketch Notes:
- I love combining art with other subject areas.
- Students are making deeper connections using this type of activity.
#3: Boom Cards:
- They are interactive and engaging.
- Perfect for a quick activity